You can also use leftover rice or pasta. Any leftover vegetables you have fresh or cooked. This soup is easy, nutritious and low calorie!
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
- 6 cups of vegetable broth or vegetable stock cube and water
- 1 796 ml can diced tomato
- 3 tbsp each of barley, rice, soup pasta, and green lentils
- 2 carrots diced
- 4-6 small potatoes diced
- 1 package frozen spinach
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley fresh ground pepper
In a large pot, add oil and heat, cook onion and garlic. Add chili pepper flakes and oregano. Add stock, barley, bulgur, rice, lentils, carrots and potatoes and can of tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmer for 30 minutes. Add cabbage, beans and spinach simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add parsley and fresh pepper and serve.
Makes approximately 20 1 cup servings
Join the book club!
Get on the list! Join the club, get the latest on books about health, fitness and changing your life.